What is Reddit?
- Reddit is a social sharing platform, allowing users to share content from across the internet with other users. Shared content can take the form of images, external links, videos and text.
- Reddit is known as “the front page of the internet”, as it promotes its users to share the most interesting content they have found on the web.
- Combined with a monthly audience of 1.5 billion users, this represents a fantastic opportunity for a brand to gain huge visibility for the content it creates.
How Does Reddit Work?
Reddit is essentially a compilation of its subreddits; a forum to house content for a specific category or niche. There are subreddits for almost everything, including for specific brands and niches.
Important features to understand…
1)Subreddit – this is the Bike commuting subreddit; compiling all content that has been shared about the topic.
2)Posts – content that is shared by a user. This can be an image, a link, a video or a text comment.
3)Votes – users can either upvote or downvote a piece of content. The higher the score, the more popular it is and the more visibility it will get.
4)Comments – users can leave comments on the content. The more comments, the more engaging the content was.
5)Karma – every user builds up a ‘karma’ score; it is a reflection of how popular the content they’ve shared has been.
Reddit SEO Opportunities – Link Creation
Aside from the huge potential for content visibility, there are two other immediate opportunities Reddit can provide for SEO: link creation and backlink research. Let’s look at link creation first:
Users can share links to external websites. Links can be shared in a few different forms on Reddit:
Text posts and comments
Subreddit sidebar links
Links within posts have the potential to provide greatest value as they are linked from the subreddit pages.
After a specific number of upvotes (exact number is not known, it may depend on factors like downvotes and number of subscribers to the subreddit involved) the link becomes a followed link.
Reddit SEO Opportunities – Link Research
Reddit can be used as a great tool for identifying the most ‘share-able’ content on the web.
Fortunately you can easily drill down into specific niches, and even competitors.
Using a custom reddit.com URL you can quickly and easily spot the most popular shared links from any domain.
Simply use the URL below, and add the domain in the placeholder:
This can be used to discover the most shared links from your website, you’ll also get the most shared subdomains and the most shared competitor content too.
Types of content that may work on Reddit
Successful content types can vary from subreddit to subreddit, so the most important things to consider when deciding on the type of content to use are a) what is the subreddit b) think as if you were creating linkbait…
1) Interviews – Interviews can be done a couple of ways, either link out to a interesting article on site or host an AMA (ask me anything) in the subreddit /r/AMA.
2) Infographics – Infographics may not work for niche topics but work great in subreddits like /r/todayilearned where data is well engaged with.
3) Videos – Video context varies across subreddits but are generally easy to engage with. For example, /r/videos seem to engage well with humour.
4) Questions – Asking the right questions can lead to engagement/sharing, and /r/askreddit/ has the latest trending topics.
Tip: Avoid anything that could make the community feel like it’s being “sold to”.
Paid Advertising on Reddit
Reddit also offers advertising opportunities, placing your advertised post at the top of a subreddit of your choice.
The main strength of Reddit ads is that advertising on a subreddit allows you to get in front of people who are not only interested in a topic, but who are also actively thinking about that topic when they see your ad. This is how Reddit stands out against other social ad platforms.
All Reddit ads are CPM priced
Subreddits need to get a certain number of pageviews and subscibers for an ad to run. Reddit also allows certain “interest targeting” which are broader audiences built by Reddit themselves, for example “Arts and Crafts”.
Ensure your advert is written like a regular post as it appears at the very top of a subreddit. Video ads are allowed and are uploaded directly to Reddit.